On Monday 17 May 2004 17:07, Robert Huff wrote:
> platanthera writes:
> >  you could (and definitely should) have a separate slice for /tmp
> >  and eventually another one for /home too.
>
>       May I ask your logic here?  Is this about safety, convenience,
> overcrowding?

You noticed that I accidently mixed up slices with partitions, didn't
you?

Separating /usr, /tmp and /var from the / filesystem
(a) reduces write access to the / fs significantly, thus increasing your
chances to get away without serious trouble in cases of enforced hard
reboot (power failure etc.) and
(b) allows you to take advantage of soft updates for the non-/ fs' which
results in better fs performance (which is probably not very important
for /tmp).
Whether you create a separate /home partition or not on a single user
machine is more or less a matter of your individual preferences.

regards