[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Which release of FreeBSD by standard has GCC 3.3.3 or higher?

5.2.1 has GCC 3.3.3 - don't know whether some lower versions of FreeBSD
5.x also had it (they're all GCC 3.x based), but you wouldn't want to
install anything below 5.2.1 anyway (if you decide to go for FreeBSD 5).

> Otherwise, are there any decent guides of how to setup GCC properly after
> upgrading 2.95 (FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE). I've had major troubles since updating
> it - that things aren't being recognised as new - and have had to use
> symbolic links (which I still don't think are working 100%). I used the
> ports/lang/gcc33 port, should this have not have overwritten any gcc i had
> currently?

No!

You _must not_ overwrite your _system compiler_ with a port. The source
tree is only guaranteed to compile with the system compiler (from that
very tree).

If you need GCC 3.x on FreeBSD 4, use one of the ports, but you will
need to build your world with /usr/bin/gcc (a.k.a. 2.95.4). Ports should
work just fine with gcc 3.x, but you should not mix and build some with
gcc 2.x and some with 3.x. This is mainly because C++ name mangeling has
changed in 3.x (read c++ shared libs compiled with different versions of
GCC are incompatible).

Simon