On Mon, 31 May 2004, Scott wrote:

I can always tell when the problem will occur based upon what
happens at boot. There are no error messages, but the slowness
begins when the standard daemons are loading. Cron and sshd
load just fine, but the delay occurs as sendmail loads, and
there is another delay as sendmail-clientmqueue loads. Once
that happens I know I'm in trouble thereafter.

You can see if this is a DNS issue by comparing the reactions:

ping hostname
ping hostname's-ip-address

In other words, if it's slow to look up a name, but quick when it doesn't have to, you've shown that it is a DNS problem.