>> BM> Never more than 100 ... it's been a year or two, so I don't remember the model.

>> BM> Probably.  It just seems like a lot of $$$ to drop when you haven't
>> BM> tried polling yet.  Keep in mind, that if you try polling and it
>> BM> doesn't work, you can just turn it back off, and you haven't spent
>> BM> any $$$ on hardware that didn't help.

>> BM> I guess.  I would expect numbers like that considering the load it's
>> BM> under.
>>
>> BM> I'll ask _again_ ... is the machine's performance poor?  Fact is, if
>> BM> you give it enough network traffic to shape, it's going to raise the
>> BM> CPU load, no matter what you do.
>>
>> now the main problem is.. that machine is shaping internet, right?
>> I did shaping for my subnet, so users in /24 have 100kbits everybody.
>> But they don't get such speed, they get about 70-80kbps . and if I
>> try to skipt pipe rules for certain IPs, users get all available
>> speed (which is left), it's about 500kbps..
>> so why machine can't pipe it normally ?
>> Didn't had these problems in the past...

BM> Past when?  What changed?
actualy nothing...
more users joint the LAN.
BM> Typically, only ~80% of available bandwidth is usable.  I don't know if
BM> that applies to your situation, though, as that's usually referring to
BM> ethernet, and you claim the problem hasn't always been there.
no.. for example if i start downlaoding without using pipes (no
shaping) my total bandwith usage increases up to 98-99%

BM> Try polling and see if the load reduces and the performance increases.
BM> If all that machine is doing is routing, you can configure it to be
BM> dedicated to routing.
I'll do it in ~10-12 hours..
I'll plug my server off, plug in new 3com gbit NIC.
and boot my kernel with new options - device_POOLING.
and see what is happening and so on..

PS. i think my PC has too less CPU.
cause I think that NAT + shaper both eats much processor.
and read somewhere, that:
interrupts apper if CPU doesn't manage to deal with them.

So, after changing NIC, i'll post my result here

hugle