On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 18:02:22 -0700
"kc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> hello ive installed freebsd i have 3 versions all of which have the same
> problem 4.3 4.8 and 5.1 when i go to run the x window it is just huge bigger
> then the screen in fact so big i cant tell whats going on so its basically
> unusable ive tried using the - + to change resolutions but nothing i do
> changes it to a useable size do you have any solutions for me it runs fine in
> text mode but x window its totalled so any ideas ?

Sounds like your X settings are not conducive to any resolution higher than the
minimum.  I think it's been a long time since anyone wrote a GUI app that would
work on a 640x480 screen!

See this chapter of the handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html

I'm guessing you somehow have either a monitor or vid card config that makes X
think it has to run at a super low resolution.  Try to use the information in
that chapter to work things out.  Sometimes it helps to look through
/var/log/XFree86.0.log ... that file often contains information that may tell
you what part of the configuration is the limiting factor.

If you're not able to get anywhere, post again and include your XFree config,
as well as the log file mentioned above.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies