On Jun 2, 2004, at 8:21 AM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

I have used this technique with 4.9, and it worked. On a machine i wanted to install 5.2.1 on, it won't (this is a machine the 4.9 install worked on fine). The boot process starts, and it locks up ending with this in the bootup sequence:
GEOM: create disk ad0 dp=0xc2006560
ad0: 19092MB <ST320014A> [38792/16/63] at ata0-masster UDMA100
ata1-master: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY status=7f <READY, DMA_READY, DSC, DRQ, CORRECTABLE, INDEX_ERROR> error=7f<UNCORRECTABLE, MEDIA_CHANGED, NID_NOT_FOUND, MEDIA_CHANGE_REQUEST, ABORTED,NO_MEDIA,ILLEGAL_LENGTH> LBA=0

Answering myself for the archives..

This *should* have worked and would have worked if not for a bug I had to workaround in 4.9 on that CDROM. The CDROM is the only device on the bus, and if it were set to master, I kept getting ata1-master resetting ad infinitum; the jumper, once removed from the back of the CDROM drive, allowed 4.9 to work like a charm. I remembered this after downloading and burning the bootonly ISO and having that fail with the same error...

Once I put the jumper back in to set the device to "master", the 5.2.1 CD booted straight to sysinstall.

Something for people to keep in mind... :-)

-Bart