On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 12:13:17 +0100, Ben Paley wrote:

> I wanted to have FreeBSD on my first drive and Win98 on the second, but
> of course windows doesn't like being on the second disk, and began
> "preparing" my first drive which already had FreeBSD on it! Well, I
> swapped the drives over, put W98 on the first one, they both boot fine
> and I didn't lose any data.
>
> BUT - Windows now sees my BSD disk (which has never happened before) and
> keeps offering to format it for me. Partition Magic gives its filesystem
> type as 'BAD' rather than 'FreeBSD/i386', as it used to. Weirdly,
> Boot Magic (bundled with Partition Magic) found both operating systems
> with no difficulty.

Perhaps something changed the partition type code in the MBR partition
table on your FreeBSD disk.  Do "fdisk ad1" to display the MBR partition
table.  The FreeBSD slice should say:

        sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)

If it says anything else, you can use the command "fdisk -u ad1" to
change the MBR partition type code back to 165 (decimal).

(Which release of FreeBSD do you run?  You used the "bsdlabel" command
to display the FreeBSD disk label on /dev/ad1s1.  That suggests you
are running FreeBSD 5.x.  In my experience, release 5.x won't recognize
FreeBSD disk labels in non FreeBSD slices and won't create special
files for the partitions in /dev.  This suggests that your MBR partition
type code is actually correct.  I dunno ... but it should be worth
checking anyway.)

Dan Strick