Roman Kennke writes:

>  All I want is not reinstalling the system after every few
>  releases.

        My first installation of FreeBSD was 2.0.5.  Since then I have
done a clean install for x.0 releases - as a matter of policy
(excuse to upgrade hardware, plus it cleans out orphaned files) but
not necessity.  (Or am I not remembering a red flag day between
2.x and 3.0?)
        Between .0s, I have successfully upgraded using the method
described in the handbook.  These days I'm more worried about a
port upgrade trashing a config file.
        Have I had problems?  Yes.  All of them turned out to be
hardware-related or me doing something stupid that broke the
process.

                                Robert huff