I just tried a new Kingmax USB 2.0 256 MB Flash Drive on a box
with FreeBSD-4.10-RELEASE and the machine locked solid to the
extent that it only responded to the power switch.

I tried it several times, tailing /var/log/messages while I did
it, but each time I inserted the device, everything stopped.
And removing the drive did not help either.

Other USB stuff works fine; this particular flash drive works
fine on the Windows box at the retailer.

I'm still using the distributed GENERIC kernel.

Can anybody throw any light on this for me please?