Of course you wouldn't want to upgrade from 5.1 to 5.2 remotely.  You have
to fix things between these two releases in single user.  In my case, the
userland wouldn't completely install.  I had to manually copy files from the
build directory to their locations on the file system in order to get this
to work.  Not all the files, but enough to get the install to work.

You can pull this off on the 4.x tree without a hitch.  I did upgrades from
4.7 to 4.8 to 4.8 stable to 4.9 release remotely on a machine without a
problem.