Right now all I can say is that I've got a Netgear FA120 network interface plugged into a USB port and I can't squeeze more than 4Mb/s out of it. It's USB 2.0 compliant and should get close to 100Mb/s. I get faster results out of my old 10Mb ISA card.

That almost sounds like the NIC is running at USB 1.1 speeds, yes.

I'd say you're right...
I'd say you're right because I just learned that USB 2.0 requires the ehci device driver, and my kernel doesn't have that driver. I've been using the ohci driver all this time. I'm buiding a new kernel now, and assuming the self-proclaimed "buggy" ehci driver works for me, I bet this will work.
If ehci were included in the GENERIC makefile, even commented out, I'd have caught this much sooner.

Thank you for making me think in the right direction.  :)