On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 04:48:25AM -0400, Bruce Hunter wrote:
> Currently I am running 5.2.1
> I am doing a buildworld, buildkernel,installkernel, installworld
> Whatever you want to call it.
>
> I read something about turning off debugging in the current release and
> how it will help to speed up my system. How the heck would I go about
> doing this? Does it have to do with adding lines to /etec/make.conf ?

There are various kernel options -- WITNESS, INVARIANTS etc. that act
as debugging aids, but that slow down the system.  The GENERIC kernel
in -CURRENT has those turned on by default.  However, you are running
5.2.1-RELEASE. The good news is, all of those debugging things are
already turned off by default.  You don't need to do anything more.

There are some debugging flags you can set in /etc/make.conf, but
generally those will have no effect on the performance of your system.
Unless you take steps to prevent it, all debugging symbols are
stripped out of the installed binaries when you do a make installword.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                      Savill Way