On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 05:15:51PM +0200, RazorOnFreeBSD wrote:

> I maybe didn't see something, for sure it's a dumb problem....
> I installed MySQL 4.0.20 from sources downloaded on MySQL website and then I checked
> before adding my "mysql" user on the box if there was one .... I never installed
> MySQL before and I already have a mysql user but I don't know his password.....
> What should I do ? Uninstall / ReInstall MySQL ? Delete user "mysql" and create
> another one ? or is there an obvious first password to change I didn't get ?
> I'm a little bit lost there... even if it's not an obligation to have this user
> named "mysql", it's easy to use everyday!

A mysql user will be created if you install mysql (any version) from
ports.  Even if you are strange enough to decide not to use ports, the
way the mysql user is set up by the port would be a good thing to
copy:

    mysql:*:88:88::0:0:MySQL Daemon:/var/db/mysql:/sbin/nologin

Where UID 88 and group 88 are reserved for MySQL:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/dads-uid.html

This account is designed to be the owner of the MySQL processes and
nothing more.  Specifically, it has a locked password (the '*' in the
second field) and the shell set to /sbin/nologin -- a small program
that prints "This account is currently not available." and exits
immediately.  The home directory shown (/var/db/mysql) is the default,
and the location where MySQL keeps its data files. You can override
that when installing the port.

Note that you never need to login as the mysql user.  MySQL has it's
own set of user IDs and it's own passwords /within/ the database which
are separate from the passwd database on your server.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                      Savill Way