Hi,

I have an HP 5200C scanner, attached over USB.
OS is FreeBSD 4-Stable.

In the kernel configuration file, I have this for usb support:
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
device          uscanner        # Scanners

Recompiled everything etc. etc.

Now I'm trying to get through the information on this scanner & FreeBSD.
I'm quite familiar with managing FreeBSD, but here I'm totally lost.

I get this:

# sane-find-scanner
[...]
found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product) at device /dev/uscanner0

# xscanimage /dev/uscanner0

pops up a dialog that says
     "Failed to open device '/dev/uscanner0'. Invalid argument".

# xscanimage
[xscanimage] No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something
          different, check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and
          detected by sane-find-scanner (if appropriate). Please read
          the documentation which came with this software (README, FAQ,
          manpages).

In various manuals (too many talk about linux only) I learn that
"I should configure/tell the kernel about the vendor and product".

I know how to (re)compile the kernel etc. but how do I tell the
kernel that I have an HP 5200C scanner?

Help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob.