On 6/9/2004 3:55 AM Matthew Seaman wrote:

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 03:35:36PM -0700, Drew Tomlinson wrote:

After upgrading perl from 5.8.2 to 5.8.4, following the instructions in /usr/ports/UPDATING, I found awstats-6.0_1 no longer worked. I ran awstats.pl interactively and received the following error:

Bizarre copy of ARRAY in aassign at /path/to/awstats.pl line 8707

After some checking, I found this issue was fixed in awstats.pl revision 1.747. I downloaded the most current revision (1.755) and replaced the revision that's included with the port. This seems to solve the problem. YMMV.

Is it appropriate to send a problem report about this? I've never sent one so I want to be sure before bugging someone.

Hopefully this post will save others from having to research and resolve this issue.

You aren't the only one to notice this: it's being discussed over on [EMAIL PROTECTED] at the moment. See the thread that starts with:

   http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2004-June/013104.html

which generally means a fix will soon be forthcoming.

Generally in these sort of cases your first point of contact should be
the port's maintainer.  Find that by:

   % cd /usr/ports/www/awstats
   % make -V MAINTAINER

Now just sending an e-mail to the maintainer usually suffices, and
most maintainers will be happy to fix things and help you out
generally.

However, if the maintainer has an @FreeBSD.org address (including
various mailing list addresses like [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED]) then you can use send-pr(1) to send in a bug report
- preferably including a fix. If the port is unmaintained
(ie. maintainer is [EMAIL PROTECTED]) then you may well get asked to
become the maintainer...  Also use send-pr(1) if e-mail to the
maintainer bounces or you get no reply after a reasonable time
(ie. two weeks) -- mention the problem in the PR you send.  See

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-maintainer.html

        Cheers,

Matthew

Thanks for your reply.  Oh there is so much to learn... :)

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse

http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com