On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Peter Pauly wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 01:54:26PM -0400, JJB wrote:
> > Are these supervisor cards unique to IBM & HP?
> > Can the card be bought separately and will they work on generic
> > motherboard?
> > Do you have URL for info on these  supervisor cards?
>
> They are unique to each manufacturer. I am not aware of a generic one. We currently
> use IBM's. Just google for "IBM remote supervisor II". The IBM can even be accessed
> via a web browser (with password security obviously). I'm not
> up-to-date on the Compaq's.

the Compaq (new HP) one is called
remote insight light out edition II
a quick google should find the relevent URL
I'd be supprised if it works in non Compaq/HP servers though. (meant to
try it but we dont have any at my current workplace :( )
some more modern Compaq/HP servers have them intergrated.
one nice feature I like is the Virtual floppy drive. if you realy needed
to you could (in theory, never tried it) install any OS that supports
floppy based installs without having to go near the machine if the light
out board had the right network settings.