>How are you trying to start X Windows? If you're just expecting it to start, you're going to end up disappointed.

Oops...
I was expecting the graphical desktop to start automatically. However I also tried startx, and I played with xdm. Whatever I was doing kept coming up with errors about no screen.

Lloyd Hayes

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web Journal: http://lloyd_hayes.bravejournal.com/

Matt Navarre wrote:

Lloyd Hayes wrote:

I have been told that the reason that I don't have a graphic desktop yet is because my XFree86 Server is not configured right. I finally downloaded the exact specs on my old laptop from Gateway and plugged them into the configure file. No help.
I tried each of the 4 configure methods from the menu. No good, nor does the graphics menu work any more.
I have attempted to switch from KDE to Gnome, to Windowmaker. Again, no good.

How are you trying to start X Windows? If you're just expecting it to start, you're going to end up disappointed.

To start X you need to either type startx at the command prompt or edit /etc/ttys to start xdm (or kdm or gdm) on the console.

here's the handbook page on configuring xdm to start after boot:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-xdm.html

Generally the step in section 5.6.2 is all you need to do, the rest is advanced options that you needn't be concerned with at this point. This info applies to kdm and gdm (KDE Display Manager and Gnome Display Manager, respectively)

To get your desired desktop to start you need to put the command to start it in $HOME/.xinitrc(for startx) or $HOME/.xsession(for xdm). To get KDE started (assuming it's installed) just type
'echo startkde >> .xinitrc' at the prompt. Assuming you're at the text console type 'startx'. KDE should start.

I have tried several other things such as the one below:

# cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4
# make install clean

It then suggests that I 'make reinstall' or 'make deinstall'. I tried reinstall first with it then suggesting that I 'make reinstall' again or 'make deinstall'.

# make deinstall

# cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4
# make install clean

While this seemed to install ok, it was still no help. I'm still stuck with line item commands.

When executing afterwards: XFree86 -configure  I get: Fatal Server Error
xf86EnableIO: Failed to open /dev/io for extended I/O

Hmm, are you doing this as root? You need to be. Another alternative, if you have the specs for your monitor and video card, is /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config. It'll ask you questions about your setup and generate a config file based on what you tell it. Try that, and if you still have problems post your config file and relevant log messages to the list, and we'll try to help.

Log says the same thing.

Any ideas?