> > What does it mean when I have a lot of files in /var/spool/mqueue?  I
> > don't
> > really understand what that particular queue is for.
>
> I believe the q is for messages that have failed, but have not yet
> expired...don't quote me though.

Pretty close.
All Email messages seem to go their first - anyway, if the mailer doesn't
call sendmail on them right away directly - and then sendmail or whatever
picks them out of there at its periodic intervals.

> sb
>
> > This client is not having any problems getting/sending mail, and the mailq
> > command only shows one mail in the queue, but I have 3867 files in this
> > directory.

Yah, all those extra messages in the mqueue are most likely ones that
failed to get delivered for some non-permanent reason.   You can take
a look at the 'q' files and see where they are supposed to go.  It is
highly likely that they are bogus in some way and can be nuked.  But,
it is also possible that some server was temporarily down and they will
get delivered when it comes back up.

There should be a 'd' file for each 'q' file and vice versa.  We have
had occasions where some seemed to get orphanned with one file but
missing the other.  I don't remember if we ever figured out a reason.
I always nuked any orphans.

////jerry