"Richard Burnett-Godfree" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am trying to port software currently running on hp-ux to freeBSD 4.9.
>
> The application I have will normally run for large numbers of users
> accessing database applications.
>
> On hp-ux to enable reasonable user numbers with large numbers of files open
> I would normally tune
>
> MAXFILES                      No files per process
> MAXFILES_LIM          System level max files per process
> MAXUPRC                       Max no user processes
> MAXUSERS                      Used by kernel generation to calc tables sizes
> NFILE                         Max no files open
> NFLOCKS                       Max no file locks
> NINODE                        Max no inodes open
> NPTY                          Max no of virtual telnet devices
>
> Where do these exist in FreeBSD or do I not worry about these type of
> things.  I would normally experience 'unable to fork process' or issues with
> performance as unix files are opened and accessed dynamically on a 'least
> recently used' basis based on the size of some of these tables.

See "man tuning" but the process limits (see limit(1)) are not, by
default, restrictive.  If your box has a lot of memory (which it
sounds like it should), then leaving maxusers at the default of 0
(i.e., auto-tuning at boot time) may well be okay for you.  Of course,
that means you'd need to check the number of file handles to see if
that's sufficient (it looks like the bottleneck for this application).
Although those are affected by maxusers, they can be specified
explicitly to override what maxusers would set them to.

                http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/~lowell/