I'm trying to become sound savy.

I have a D-Link DSB-R100 usb radio, and  Sony Vaio PCG-Z505-JE laptop
running:
   FreeBSD rosebud.alerce.com 4.9-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE-p5 #20: Tue Apr 20
10:02:23 PDT 2004     [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ROSEBUD  i386

I kldload the ufm.ko module, plug it in, and I can control it with
Warner's (I think) little ufmctl program.  It tunes, mutes,
etc... just fine.

In particular, it sounds perfectly reasonable for an fm radio.

I'm trying to record stuff, and the results that I'm getting sound
like crap.

I've been using sox, in two configurations I cribbed from the web:

  sox -v 1.0 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp -w -r 44100 -t cdr -

  sox -t ossdsp /dev/audio -t .wav -r 44100 -c 2 -

Both of them end up sounds lousy when I play them back in xmms, much
worse than listening to it directly.

Can anyone comment on how I might get better recordings?

I'll happily supply more information on request (I'm not sure what
else to supply though...).

g.