On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:36:26PM -0400, andrew kagan wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I've been trying to install xfree86 at the same time I'm installing 4.10
> stable.
>
> The graphical configuration tool comes up fine, but when I try to specify
> the adapter, there's nothing in the list that refers to "ATI" at all.
>
> If I try to select the default vga adapter, after the config is written and
> xfree86 attempts to load, my video doesn't work at all.
>
> Is there a way to drop out of xfree86 at this point, even before install has
> completed? I can't proceed to complete the install at this point.
>
> Or should I be skipping configuration of xfree86 at this point and do it
> after FreeBSD is installed?

You might want to try installing FreeBSD stable without X, and then
once installed go to:

/usr/ports/x11/xorg

And install this meta port of the X.Org X11R6.7.0 release.  Once
installed, follow the instructions at:

http://freedesktop.org/XOrg/ConfigurationHelp

I found that the best way to configure X11R6.7.0 is to first run
(as root) X -configure, which does an excellent job of detecting
my hardware.  I next copy the resultant configuration file to the
correct location as decribed, then carry out final tweaking using
both manual editing of the config file and xorgcfg -textmode.

X11R6.7.0 performs much more satisfactorily with my ATI Radeon 9200
graphics card and Iiyaya Vision Master 1451 monitor than I have been
able to persuade XFree86 4.3.0 to do, and what helps greatly is that
post installation configuration is simplicity itself.

--
Anthony Edwards
[EMAIL PROTECTED]