On Tuesday 22 June 2004 07:05, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> hello all,
>
> Connecting to cvsup.ca.FreeBSD.org
> Connected to cvsup.ca.FreeBSD.org
> Server software version: SNAP_16_1e
> Negotiating file attribute support
> Exchanging collection information
> Establishing multiplexed-mode data connection
> Running
> Updating collection ports-all/cvs
>  Checkout ports/INDEX             <<<<<<< how is this different from...

This checks out the new ports text file.

> # portsdb -Uu                          <<<<<<< ...this?

This builds INDEX.db, which is all the ports/dependency information in the
format that portupgrade(and others?) uses so it can get all the right ports
when you install something.

> i'm not sure i have a firm grasp of why i do both.  are they complimentary
> or redundant steps?  could someone please clarify or point me to right set
> of docs?

They're complimentary, portsdb -uU doesn't really do anything unless you have
a new /usr/ports/INDEX or /usr/ports/INDEX.db got hosed.

--
"We all enter this world in the same way: naked, screaming,
 and soaked in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind