Gareth,

/usr/ports/devel/fam/pkg-message says:

1. In order to run this port, please add the following line to /etc/rpc if
it is not already there:

==8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<==
sgi_fam     391002
==8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<==

2. To run fam from inetd (the recommended method), then please add the
following lines to /etc/inetd.conf if they are not already there:

==8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<==
# FAM: File Alteration Monitor [devel/fam]
sgi_fam/1-2 stream rpc/tcp wait root /usr/local/bin/fam  fam

After modifying /etc/inetd.conf, you must (as root) run:

   killall -HUP inetd

Fam also requires that portmapper is running.  Add the appropriate
entry to /etc/rc.conf:

For 4.x:
Add portmap_enable="YES" and either reboot or run /usr/sbin/portmap.

For 5.x:
Add rpcbind_enable="YES" and either reboot or run /usr/sbin/rpcbind.

Joey