Quoting Michael Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Any suggestions on how to do this without DHCP?  That's really not
an option for me.  Can I delay the rc.conf processing somehow
so that the adaptor has more time to get online?

As far as I know there's no way to speed it up. That's just how long it takes for auto-negotiation to finish.

Ken

Michael Clark Nemschoff Chairs Inc mclark at nemschoff dot com CompTIA A+, Network+, Server+, MCP Voice: (920) 457 7726 x294 Fax: (920) 453 6594

-----Original Message----- From: Kenneth Culver [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 3:39 PM To: Michael Clark Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: em0 Intel Gigabit card, rc.conf processing on boot

Quoting Michael Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

I have 2 fxp Intel 100mb cards in this machine that work fine.  I have ran
it with 3 fxp
cards in the past.  I added an em0, Intel gigabit this morning.  The card
displays a
non active status during the boot process.  RC.conf is processed and the
card
does not get an ip address, while the fxp cards do.  Later in the boot
process
in bright white letters it shows the card status has changed to active.  I
believe my
problems getting rc.conf to assign the IP address are related to this.
Any
suggestions
would be appreciated.

5.2-p2 (feb)

I have also noticed that this card takes a while to become active... but
I've
been able to get an IP using dhcp anyway... it just takes a bit longer
than for
the 100Mbit/sec cards.

Ken

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This electronic transmission, including all attachments, is directed in confidence solely to the person(s) to whom it is addressed, or an authorized recipient, and may not otherwise be distributed, copied or disclosed. The contents of the transmission may also be subject to intellectual property rights and all such rights are expressly claimed and are not waived. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by return electronic transmission and then immediately delete this transmission, including all attachments, without copying, distributing or disclosing same.