Hiya all

I've got 5.2.1-RELEASE on a P4 1.1Ghz machine
I've setup a HP laserjet (iiP) on the first parallel port using a simple
filter to get the lines feeding correctly.

Sometimes it actually prints, but mostly it will
send the job to the printer then WAAAAAIT till I formfeed.
After that it will NOT access the printer.
LPQ reports jobs in the queue, but also says
'waiting for lp to become ready (offline?)'

the printer is not offline.  the cable it ok etc etc etc
resetting etc in LPC makes no difference

I just need some simple text printing from this thing, can it really
be so hard?

dmesg says about 'ppc'
  ppc0 port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on acpi0
  ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
  ppbus0: <Parallel port bus> on ppc0
which is correct

anyhow, I read the printing bit of the handbook, which referred me to
the IRQ setting and mentions some HP printers not working in IRQ
mode.
I commented the relevant line in /boot/device.hints
and rebooted
no change.

I then read some more and went along to the acpi(4) man page and got
no further than suspecting
    hw.acpi.pci.link.%d.%d.%d.irq
             Override the interrupt to use.
is what I need to use to disable the IRQ on the parallel port (I
cannot do it in BIOS)

however, nowhere can I find out what to put instead of %d.%d.%d to
tell it to NOT use IRQ's for the printer port, there is simply no
explanation for those numbers.

please help
I need to print some of the conf files before I rebuild this box with an
IDE RAID card for the disks....

--
David                                                         /"\
http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/                               \ /