Phil Schulz wrote:

Danny Howard wrote:

What's the easiest command to read to get good information on memory usage? I played with "/sbin/sysctl -n hw.physmem hw.usermem vm.kvm_size vm.kvm_free" yesterday but I have the feeling that these are not the numbers I think they are, because they add up wrong.

There's some pretty good stuff at the top of top, but I'd be happier with output in raw numbers of bytes, to feed to my graphing program. This would also save the trouble of reinterpreting M into * 1024^2.

[...]

Are you looking for vmstat(8)?

Actually, I'm looking for: "How do I calculate the size and utilization of my VM from sysctl?"

vm.kvm_size is not consistent with the size of swap output by top. But then, I'm not sure what "kvm" is supposed to be anyway. I've looked at vm.stats.vm.v_page_size * vm.stats.vm.v_page_count but that aint right either ... ?

Thanks,
-danny

--
Danny Howard                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Technical Support Manager                          (312)829-1111 x235