On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 15:54:31 -0400
Bruce Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 15:34, Mike Hogsett wrote:
> > > When I try and run linux-opera, i get this error.
> > >
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] rehash
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] linux-opera
> > > ELF binary type "0" not known.
> > > ELF binary type "0" not known.
> > > /usr/X11R6/share/linux-opera/bin/opera: 1: Syntax error: "("
> > > unexpected
> > >
> > > what does that mean? What should I do?
> >
> > Try doing (as root of course)
> >
> > ; kldload linux
> >
> I tried what you asked:
> This is what happened..
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] su
> Password:
> solid# kldload linux
> solid# linux-opera
> Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the
> authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
> authentication failed
> cannot open file "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XftConfig"
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

i don't have /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XftConfig either, but my linux-opera
runs just fine.  i'm not sure that this is the problem.

do you have one of the linux_base ports installed?

-- if no, you'll need one.
-- if yes, give pkgdb -Fu a try and see if that clears anything up.

also try running opera as a normal user.  your root account may not have
the same 'environment variables' set as you regular account.  (a problem
i've run into in the past which gave me curious X related error messages)

good luck,
epi