Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with named in my LAN. My notebook
> is sometimes attached to this network and sometimes
> not.
>
> Everything works well when the network cable is plugged-in.
> Without the network cable (same network settings), the following
> happens:
>
> - sendmail is waiting for timeout while booting (ok, this is
> actually not a big problem, just a little bit annoying)
> - host anyhost needs 30 seconds to return with a timeout
> - starting any X-application takes 2 minutes 30 seconds till
>   it appears on the local display
>
> Remarks about X:
> - XFree86 is configured not to accept TCP connections
> - the problem above does not occur when running the X-server
>   without a WM and with twm (affects KDE, Gnome, Xfce)
>
> Why does the resolver need 30 seconds to look up a host
> when named is offline?

It's a standard timeout.  The resolver isn't aware of the status of parts
of the network stack below it ... it just waits for 30 seconds for a reply
and then gives up if none comes.

This is because it's possible to have different NICs/modems/etc accessing
the network, so it would be difficult to teach the resolver when it waited
for the the timeout and when not to try.

The question I have is: Why are you doing "host somehost" when you're
obviously not connected to the network?  You're the human in this process,
don't give the computer things to do that it obviously can't accomplish
and then wonder about it.

> Something has changed with XFree, which since recently looking
> up hosts (localhost?) when starting an X-application. How do
> I turn it off?

Make sure that /etc/hosts has every possible name for your machine in it,
in addition to "localhost".  Any time I've seen one of those WMs get hung
up on DNS, it was becuase it was trying to verify its own host name.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies