On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:18:36 -0700
"Joshua Lewis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> All documentation tells you when running CVSUP or installing FBSD from FTP
> to use the FTP server closest to you.
>
> So how do you determine the best server. I recall reading a post that said
> run a command that will determine the closest server or fastest server near
> you. I however lost the page I printed out and can't remember the web
> address.
>
> Any ideas how to find the fastest server near me?

I think your looking for /usr/ports/sysutils/fastest_cvsup .

The "fastest" may change depending on mirror loads or net
conditions so I use this in my script that cvsups things:

        # Find fastest cvsup server at the moment
        host=`fastest_cvsup -Q -c us`

        /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 -h $host /your/path/to/supfile

See the manpage for fastest_cvsup for options available of course.
The above is for US cvsup mirrors.  Adjust accordingly.

Best regards,

Randy