On July 12, 2004, Eddie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have webmin installed on a brand new installation of FreeBSD 5.2.1. I tunnel port 10000 to my localhost and connect to wemin like this:

http://127.0.0.1:10000

I always connect to webmin this way, with all *nix machines I admin. This does not seem to work with FreeBSD 5.2.1. It does work out of the box for other versions (4.7 and 4.8 at least) of FreeBSD though. Is there some rule somewhere preventing port forwarding in 5.2? Here's my netstat output:

bsd3c# netstat -nat
Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address (state)
tcp4 0 0 192.168.1.19.22 69.91.145.220.46031 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 127.0.0.1.25 *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 *.22 *.* LISTEN
tcp6 0 0 *.22 *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 *.10000 *.* LISTEN
udp4 0 0 *.10000 *.* udp4 0 0 *.514 *.* udp6 0 0 *.514 *.*

webmin is running and listening on port 10000 as it's supposed to, and I can connect to webmin on the localhost with links. The sshd config file gives no indication that tunneling is disabled, and it has not been modified in any way.

I would be glad to hear what anyone's thoughts are on this.

Eddie

Hi Eddie,

freebsd-newbies is not meant for technical questions nor replies.
I'm forwarding this along to freebsd-questions. (You should be
CC'ed on any replies...)

My first thought is that maybe 5.2.1 uses a more restrictive
ruleset for firewalling or that you specified a more restrictive
ruleset in rc.conf (firewall_type, which is used by rc.firewall).

You can view current rules with 'ipfw show'.

Of course, this all assumes you've kept ipfw as the firewall.

Also, I could be missing the obvious. (That's one of the reasons
to not ask on -newbies...)

Regards,
Clayton