James W. Thompson, II wrote:
I am tracking RELENG_4_9 for a dedicated server and unfortunately have
no way of accessing the system in single user mode. I have managed to
get a custom kernel running but was wondering if there is any safe way
to make world and install world remotely without having to arrange for
a tech to do it for me at $100/hr. I was just wondering since the
handbook only mentions doing install world from single user mode.

I generally do make world/kernel remotely. It very rarely causes problems, even when moving from 4.9 to 4.10, as I did with a bunch of servers recently - none were a problem.

If there is an issue, you're no worse off than you would be if you had to get the data centre's technicians to work in the first place, provided you're prepared for such an eventuality.

Peter.

Thanks!