--- Artem Koutchine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I need sime kind of network file system which has a
> FreeBSD server and
> Windows clients (particulary Windows XP) and that
> FreeBSD file share
> must be mounted on Windows XP under a drive letter.
> Windows client
> is FAR FAR away and is behind nat. Traffic costs a
> lot, so that file system
> must not waste it for nothing. Of course, security
> is very important and
> security based on IP address is impossible, because
> client is behind nat.
>
> I have checked the following:
>
> 1) Samba3
>
> I think i could use it with user security (not share
> or maybe mixed) but
> i am not sure about making it open to internet and
> also i think it wastes
> bandwidth. Am i wrong?
>
> 2) Coda FS
>
> Nice thing, but i could not figure out how to manage
> user passwords
> and there is no working windows xp client. I tried
> it - not luck for me.
>
> 3) AFS
>
> No idea is AFS Windows client exists and no FreeBSD
> server.
>
> 4) NFS
>
> Well, i like it very much because we use for freebsd
> file shareing since
> year 2000. Hoever, i could not find free NFS client
> for Windows (but, hell,
> i'll buy it) but what's worse i get figure out how
> to make authorizartion based on
> user/password and not on /etc/exports. I need
> something more secure. Also,
> am not sure about bandwidth usage.
>
> Any help will be very appriciated.
>

> Regards,
> Artem Kuchin
> General Director of IT Legion Ltd.
> Russia, Moscow
> www.itlegion.ru
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> +7 095 232-0338

> "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Hello,
I would like to offer an appology for the off topic
response:

Just a side note about a free NFS client for Windows:
"Microsoft's Windows Services for UNIX Now Available
Free of Charge"
Microsoft SFU is made by Interix.com, which in turn is
based on OpenBSD.  If I am not mistaken, they do have
an NFS client.

http://www.asia.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/interop/sfu/nfsauth.mspx
"Client for NFS  The Windows NFS client component of
SFUv3. Client for NFS allows the machine on which it
is installed to access and use NFS resources anywhere
on the network"

Pete