softdeps, strange memory/unified disk cache management (large writing to file almost freezes everything) etc. etc.
i installed FreeBSD once to do quick performance tests, and at least in disk I/O and fair scheduling it's MUCH better (tested 4.10 and 5.1).
1) what is Buf and Cache in top exactly? why buf on 96MB machine gets to near 20MB and never goes down? it's almost 1/4 of memory size.
2) can i compile kernel with -march=pentium,pentium -O2 optimization?
in NetBSD 2.0 doing -march=pentium produces kernel that doesn't boot at all, just resets.
3) how can i disable compiling, using etc.. all that LKM (KLD) stuff?
i really prefer one static kernel.
4) is IPv6 working well? (i mean no crashes etc...) i will get real IPv6 zone allocation soon and want to use it.
5) what is used in FreeBSD for traffic management. NetBSD has altq - please just give me a name i will RTFM.
6) how to turn using serial port as console on i386? my home machine is headless, i'm using X terminals to access it.
7) does FreeBSD support 2 CPUs on i386?
sorry if too much questions at once, i would like to move my home machine to FreeBSD tomorrow, test it at real for a month and then (if it will be better than NetBSD for my needs) replace other machines.
should i go to 4.10 or better 5.2.1? stability is really important to me. _______________________________________________ [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"