epilogue wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 14:37:29 -0500
uidzero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Peter Schuller wrote:

Hello,

so during a portupgrade on my laptop the root fs, with soft updates
enabled, became full. So I removed a bunch of stuff to make a few gigs
available. I checked and df reported more than a gig of free space - so
I re-ran portupgrade.

Then I noticed it was full again, with df showing a negative amount of
free space.

I removed even more stuff, and rebooted just incase there were more
blocks to be freed.

After the reboot df showed a negative amount of space again. So I
removed even more data (rm -rf /usr/ports/distfiles) and now I had 115
meg free df claimed. I then re-ran df in quick succession a few times
and watched diskspace rapidly decrease to a negative 600 meg or so
(note: the decrease was perhaps 150 meg/second, so it cannot have been a
process writing data to disk in the background).

After a couple more reboots and a manual fsck in single user mode I
still have the same problem (on both CURRENT and 5.2.1-RELEASE kernels).

What to do?

Have you tried editing your ports-supfile and commenting out the "src-all" and the Chinese, German, etc... ports? Just make sure you have all the other ports uncommented. That will save you a lot of space, unless you need them.

while this 'will' save space, it will 'almost certainly' break any local /usr/ports/INDEX builds you attempt.

Michael

--
Michael D. Whities
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--

There are four colors of hats to watch for: Black, White, Grey, and Red.

The meanings are: Cracker, Hacker, Guru, and Victim.

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Just rebuild the INDEX... ?