Richard Kaestner wrote:

Is there a helping hand to give me some advice where / how to start?

I want:
- a "pseudo device", which collects every now and then data from an external
 box via serial line (/dev/cuaa1)
 Box-Status and some more information shoud be readable,
 whichever Commands have to be sent to the Box could be done via ioctl
- using FreeBSD 4.10 ( going to 5.x later)
- I am currently reading:
 FreeBSD Handbook and Developers Handbook
 Daemonnews: Oct 2000: KLD example / Tutorial
 /usr/src/share/examples/driver/make...
 ( and McKusik's Design ...)
- And finally: this is going to be my first Unix-Driver ...
 (although, I have some experience in low-level programming)

I need Infos on:
- is there a "better" (or "more preferred") way than written above?
- is there a "simple example driver" doing similar things
- actually, can I simply access /dev/cuaa1 from "inside" a driver ?
 (suppose, I should not ...)
- or should I simply / better stay with a daemon ?

thanks in advance for hints!

Greetings!

As has been pointed out to me just recently:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/arch-handbook/driverbasics.html

is an excellent primer on FreeBSD drivers (maybe a bit dated, but it still applies).

-Henrik W Lund