Peter,
  JRE is the acronym for Java Runtime Environment.
Because java is an interpreted language, a java
program needs an interpreter to be able to translate a
java program into a machine readable form. Perhaps
some of the openoffice.org's functionality were
develop using java, maybe that's the reason why it
needs a Java Runtime Environment. If you need to know
more about Java, try visiting http://sun.java.com

Java has already been ported to FreeBSD. You can find
one here:
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/DL/28994/DL

Download the one that looks like this:
diablo-jre-1.3.1.0.tgz

   At this very moment while I'm sending this to you,
I'm still completing the download of
openoffice.org-1.1.2. I've already downloaded jre but
still haven't tried it yet.

Best of luck
-jay