Chris wrote:

I'm curious - I have an AthlonXP cpu, and I seen on several posts where people have listed, CPUTYPE?=athlon-xp in /etc/make.conf.

My question is this, what are the ramifications if I added that to my /etc/make.conf now, after my current device has had nothing in the before mentioned file.

How might the above effect pre installed/compiled apps be effected.
Also - where can I find valid CPUTYPE? parms so I ensure I use the correct one.

In addition, if I add some of the "tweaks" such as
CFLAGS= -O -pipe
COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
to /etc/make.conf - would there be any impact in pre installed/compiles programs after the fact.

Greetings!

No, nothing you put into make.conf will affect already installed software. This file is for setting build-time options, and as such will only affect subsequent software builds. And yes, rebuilding and reinstalling a package you already have qualifies as a "subsequent build".

As for valid CPUTYPE values, have you checked out the manpage?

man make.conf

I'm pretty sure I've seen it in there somewhere.

Hope this helps!
-Henrik W Lund