On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 02:14:21PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:54:04PM +0100, Scott Mitchell wrote:
> > > >
> > >   I have the Xircom Ethernet II 10/100 CBE2-100 (IIRC); someone
> > >   on the -mobile list said that only 5.X recognizes this card.

        [ ... ]

> > Yeah, that's a CardBus card that will only work with 5.x - there's no
> > CardBus support whatsoever in 4.x.
> >
> > You seem to be getting some good pointers in another thread to PCMCIA
> > adapters that should work with your machine.  If you can find them, the
> > Xircom CE3 or CEM56 / REM56 work pretty well.  Most other Xircom cards
> > don't work well on 4.x, and this is unlikely to be fixed, at least not by
> > me.

        [ ... ]

>       There was some complaint (along with the trap/panic) about
>       "Cardbus" along with an address that I could not copy.
>       But if the Xircom card isn't broken, I should be able to
>       configure it in /etc/rc.conf later.  I didn't see any
>       PCMCIA menus in /stand/sysinstall.

        Latest discoveries are that with the Xircom Ethernet II
        well seated, upon reboot, the kernel panics when it sees
        the card.  It's a new card, so guessing it is a driver problem.
        Time to look for a new card.

        Inthe KERNEL config files does anybody have any experience with:

         ex              # Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 and Pro/10+
         ep              # Etherlink III based cards
         fe              # Fujitsu MB8696x based cards
         ie              # EtherExpress 8/16, 3C507, StarLAN 10
         lnc             # NE2100, NE32-VL Lance Ethernet cards

        or am I looking in the wrong place?

        gary

   Gary Kline     [EMAIL PROTECTED]   www.thought.org     Public service Unix