Hi,

I am very new to this, and have just struggled
through many occurrences of the same sort of thing.

During installation i had used the "third"
xf86config option, which can also be run
from the command line after installation.
(This is the thing which asks questions
about horizontal and vertical rates etc.)
I could never get anything to work using
this, but i really didnt know the answers
to many of the questions.

I came across an archived email that
strongly recommended using the
xf86cfg -textmode option.
This worked perfectly for me the first time,
and I have not had any of these "no screens"
messages since.

The xf86cfg -textmode is a screen based
selection, and I felt it led me through
in a much easier way.

If you have already installed freeBSD,
I think you can get into it by going through
/stand/sysinstall then selecting
XFree86 (configure XFree86 Server), then
selecting the second option, xf86cfg -textmode

I hope this helps a bit.
Peter