Redmond Militante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> hello
>
> i'm interested in configuring PAM on my 4x system so that a user is locked out of
> ignored if trying to log in unsuccessfully via ftp within the space of a minute or
> so. i'm trying to eliminate brute force attacks...
>

> can anyone point me towards some good tutorials on how to do this?

Good tutorials?  I don't know, but there is source for the pam_tally
module included in the tree on my -STABLE machine.

Think it over carefully before enabling this kind of capability,
though; you may be making brute force attacks somewhat harder, but a
denial-of-service attack on specific users will become trivial.

                http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/~lowell/