Scott wrote:
Hi,

I completed my first update (upgrade?) of a 5.2.1 fresh FreeBSD install. I followed a couple how-to's, the handbook, and "Absolute BSD" as my guides. My machine is a 1.8Ghz AMD.

Here is my supfile:

*default host=cvsup15.us.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5_2_1_RELEASE
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all
ports-all tag=.

Everything seemed to go without a hitch. I did:

1. cvsup mysupfile
2. make buildworld
3. make buildkernel
4. make installkernel
5. make installworld

The system is up and seems to be running fine, but here's my question:

uname -a shows:
FreeBSD 5.2.1-Release #0:

I was expecting the release (version, revision# ?) number to be greater than #0. I think I've seen where the latest revision is #9 or so? Do I need to tell it to get the latest revision somehow? Do I need to change the cvs tag= to something else to get up to date?

I thought the #number indicated the number of times the server has been rebooted based upon the last time the kernel was recompiled. Being that it is #0, it was your first book. Reboot the machine and check the number again.

Puna

Thanks for your time,
Scott