-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of James A.
Coulter
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2004 8:59 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: DHCP and the "SIMPLE" option in /etc/rc.firewall

I am setting up a firewall for a gateway/router running FreeBSD
4.10.

This is for a small home LAN.

I have already compiled and installed a custom kernel with the
IPFIREWALL
and IPDIVERT options and configured the firewall to pass any to any
without
any problems - now it's time to start locking it down.

I would like to use the firewall_type="SIMPLE" option rc.conf.  But
I'm not
sure how I should set up my external nic in /etc/rc.firewall, i.e:

# set these to your outside interface network and netmask and ip
        oif="ed0"
        onet="192.0.2.0"
        omask="255.255.255.240"
        oip="192.0.2.1"

My outside interface is connected to a cable modem and is configured
for
DHCP

Without a static IP address for my outside interface, how do I set
these
options?

TIA for your help.

Jim C.