Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:30:59 +0100
Mark Ovens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Peter Ryan wrote:
> I've got the same thing on the 2 machines i am experimenting
> with. I am new and thought it was a standard feature :) > > I also defined a standard US 101 keyboard.
> > Makes me think there is a setting or choice at installation that
> deals with this, rather than having to patch something.

Add

keysym Delete = 0x04

to ~/.xmodmaprc

and add

xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc

to ~/.xinitrc

To implement this in a running X session type this in an xterm

xmodmap -e "keysym Delete = 0x04"

Actually, this is probably a better solution for the OP as it is global whereas my previous suggestion is xterm specific.

The only problem is that if you keep the delete key pressed to long it exits the terminal. At least when xmodmap.... typed under kde's konsole; it acts this way both in for konsole and xterm.

Only if the cursor is in the first character position after the prompt of course. Not sure what the solution is since Ctrl-D is delete char to the right of the cursor and EOT, which exits the shell.

Mark