That did it.  Thanks.

Chris

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 23:40, Chris Radlinski wrote:

I'm running Gnome 2.4 on 5.2.1-RELEASE. I've configured gdm to run at boot time and would like it to automatically log me in. However, it always prompts me for a password. Scanning the archives, I saw that others suggested copying /etc/pam.d/gdm to /etc/pam.d/gdm-autologin. I did this but it didn't fix anything. Here's my gdm/gdm-autologin:

#
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/pam.d/gdm,v 1.7 2003/04/30 21:57:54 markm Exp $
#
# PAM configuration for the "gdm" service
#

# auth
auth required pam_nologin.so no_warn
#auth sufficient pam_krb5.so no_warn try_first_pass
#auth sufficient pam_ssh.so no_warn try_first_pass
auth required pam_unix.so no_warn try_first_pass
auth required pam_permit.so

# account
#account        required        pam_krb5.so
account         required        pam_unix.so

# session
#session        optional        pam_ssh.so
session         required        pam_permit.so

What am I missing?

Remove the auth pam_unix.so entry. The gdm-autologin PAM definition should be:

auth       required     pam_nologin.so
auth       required     pam_permit.so
account    required     pam_unix.so
session    required     pam_permit.so

As discussed in the freebsd-gnome archives.

Also, if I select "Reboot" or "Shut down" from the logout menu as root, the machine just hangs. Any suggestions?

Don't do that. If you want to try and track down what's happening, configure you machine for a serial console, and make sure you're set to drop into the debugger should the system panic. Then, when it hangs, you should hopefully get something on the serial console. Consult the handbook for more info.

Joe

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Chris Radlinski