## Top-posting removed.
## Please do not top-post in the middle of a bottom-posting thread.

On 2004-08-04 23:54, BSDjunkie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Olaf Hoyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Peter Ryan wrote:
>>> I am very new, and have been reinstalling FreeBSD many times to clean
>>> up whatever mess i make and start again.
>>>
>>> I recently used cvsup to update my ports collection for the
>>> 4.10_RELEASE.
>>>
>>> Now, when I reinstall, it takes much longer because i bring in the
>>> updated ports collection rather than the ports collection on the
>>> install CD (which i burnt from an ISO file)
>>
>> The whole portscollection is also available via ftp on ftp2.de.freebsd.org:
>> [snip ftp get example]
>> Simply download the tar.gz, and extract it to /usr/ports
>>
>> On each ISO of a release, like the 4.10R-CD #1, they take a snapshot of
>> the ports tree when the make the assumption that it ist quite
>> consistent. So when you download in say, 3 months a 4.10 ISO, the ports
>> tree therein will be more than 3 months old.
>>
>> In that case, use whether cvsup or method above to get a recent ports
>> tree.
>
> You can also reinstall the ports tree from the iso image.
>
> There's an install script on the cd that you can run if needed to
> reinstall the release version of the ports tree.
>
> Updating should be done through cvsup if possible.

I think that what the original poster meant is a bit different than this.
When the /usr/ports tree is updated, the infrastructure bits that it
contains will download updated, newer or fixed versions of the same ports
if one tries to reinstall them.  Since the release CD-ROMs do not contain
the source files for these updated ports, they're downloaded over the
network -- which can take a while if you're using a dialup connection or
something similarly slow.

The answer is that this cannot be avoided, since the source files of the
new, updated versions of the packages were not available when the release
CD-ROMs were prepared.

<hint>

To avoid downloading multiple times the same source files, I usually wait
until one of my machines downloads the source tarballs and then burn a
CD-ROM with the contents of my /usr/ports/distfiles or share this directory
over NFS when that's possible.

Peter,
If you have a fast connection somewhere that can download these source
files for you, you can copy the files from /usr/ports/distfiles from that
machine to any other FreeBSD installation.  The next time the ports try to
locate the source tarball it's going to be where they expect it and no
download will be attempted over the network.

</hint>

Giorgos