I'm confused, and I ask for your collective help.

I successfully built a FreeBSD system using defaults. It works fine,
so far. I will start over and rebuild the system now, carefully
documenting each step. I will make some changes the second time. What
I have right now is not mission critical, I'm just using it to learn.

I've learned that I need another partition to which I can write tar
backups and then ftp them to one of my windows machines on my LAN. So,
I've tried to identify the optimum configuration for the rebuild of my
machine to accommodate that need. I have a 120GB IDE HD, so I don't have
space problems. I presently have 128MB of RAM, but it looks like I
should plan to accommodate an increase to 1024GB in the future.

I plan to host a few web pages, and hope to be able to ultimately run
a MTA and mail lists using majordomo or mailman in the future. I have
static IPs and permission to run a server on my internet access.

I've tried to absorb input from the FreeBSD on-line handbook, from Greg
Lehey's "The Complete FreeBSD", and from Michael Lucases' "Absolute BSD".
What I read either conflicts or I just can't comprehend. Maybe I shouldn't
have tried to compare these sources?

A Reference says keep the root section small, another says include /usr and
/var in root, there's a discussion of the relative speed of the outside of
a spinning HD to the middle of the HD, there's not an agreement on the
size of the swap space, and, as I said, I'm confused.

Here's where I am, and I would appreciate your collective comments. I'm
persuaded to use 1026MB for swap, 8GB for root (/), 30GB for /backup tars,
and the remainder for /home.  The /tmp, /usr, and /var directories would
be included in the 8MB root. Web pages and mailing lists would be in home.
I would be able to backup directories (or subdirectories) to tar files in
the backup directory of sizes that wouldn't choke my windows machines when
ftp'd to them for storage.

When I rebuild my system, I don't want to do it again for a while. Should
I make root bigger? Should I have /tmp, /usr, and /var as separate
partitions as the default install did for me when I built the system I'm
learning on at present?

If you had it to do all over again, given my parameters, what would you do?

Jay O'Brien
Rio Linda, CA USA