-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
Von: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Auftrag von stheg
olloydson
Gesendet: Samstag, 7. August 2004 02:46
An: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Betreff: Re: Does the AMD64 version of FreeBSD run on this?

http://eetimes.com/semi/news/showArticle.jhtml?>articleID=26805631

>> You should look at the IA64 port, not the AMD64.
>>

>Why?  This Intel chip referenced is NOT an IA64
>architecture.  It is
>Intels EM64T 64/32 bit architecture based on Xeon/P4
>and "compatible"
>with the AMD64 stuff
>
>Chad

Hello,

Actually, what it says is, "Intel's extensions, which
it first used in the Xeon and are called EM64T, are
compatible with AMD's extensions." I wouldn't infer
that to mean more than it says: Intel's _extensions_
are compatible AMD's _extensions_. A quick experiment
would tell. Because these same extensions exist in the
Xeon, by your reasoning, the AMD64 codebase should run
on a Xeon platform, nee?

Regards,

Stheg