> On Friday 06 August 2004 04:58, Brett Glass wrote:
> > http://eetimes.com/semi/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=26805631
>
> Probably not. Intel isn't going to keep exactly the same architecture as
AMD
> has now. They'll make a few minor ajustments to fine-tune their CPU.

According to the Intel people that I've talked to where I work (a big blue
company that isn't Dell), AMD64 and EM64T are the same on the opcode level.
Thus, code built for AMD64 will work unmodified on EM64T and vice versa.
(It would be silly for Intel to do otherwise, as they don't want to risk
losing any support from the community and market share that AMD has worked
hard to establish.)

While Intel (or AMD) may make changes to the underlying silicon to make
things better than their competitors (ie, larger caches, different pipeline
architecture, etc), they are committed to maintain compatibility between
AMD64 and EM64T.

--
Matt