"Mohammed Shaikh (Satyam Computer Services)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I tried exactly what you said.
> Make install clean
>
> But it tried to search for make-3.80.tar.bz2 and tried fetching over the
> net and did not find it. (I think because of our firewall). Now I have
> ftp'd the file in the /usr/ports/distfiles/ the above file and tried
> running it and found that it has dependencies on gettext.
> I copied gettext* there and tried installing gettext and found it has
> dependencies on some other stuff.

Lucky for you, you're not the first person to have this problem, thus
there are many workarounds.  First off, I apologize, I forgot that gmake
created such a large dependency tree.

First off, if you have a FreeBSD CD, the required files may be on it in
the /distfiles directory, and you can copy them from there.

Otherwise, it's possible to install gmake from the packages collection.
The easiest way to do this is to run "/stand/sysinstall"  You can then
choose to load the packages from a CD, or FTP (you might want to try
FTP-passive)  Once in sysinstall, go to Configure, then Packages and
what you choose after that depends on where you want to try to get the
packages from.  If they're not on the CD, exit sysinstall and restart
it, choosing FTP-passive.

The gmake package is in devel section, same as in ports.  If you don't
see it in the listing, it's because it's not available on the media
you selected.  Exit sysinstall and restart, choosing a different media.
I know it's on the FTP sites for sure, but you may have trouble
accessing them.

> How and where I can get everything from, so that I can get this running.
> I AM NOT JOKING.

I'm just a bit amazed that this is coming from microsoft.com ... that's all.

HTH

Bill Moran
Potential Technologies
http://www.potentialtech.com