I have decided to take the plunge and try out 5.2.1. I figure it will be
5.3 soon and I like the idea of upgrading at that time. So I am going to
start fiddling with it.

The first thing I am noticing is when installing apps from the ports
directory my config files are getting put into /usr/local/etc instead of
where I am used to /etc.

I am guessing this by design and wanted to confirm this.

Is this a config setting somewhere? It is fine in the /usr/local/etc
directory but if it is a config setting then perhaps there are other
settings that have changed that I have not encountered yet. I would like
to read up on the changes.

While I am on the subject. Are there any other differences between 4.10
and 5.X that will take me by surprise?

I read through the Release notes on FreeBSD.org and it never mentioned the
/etc directory thing. So perhaps there are some other items I should keep
my eye out for.

Thank you,
Joshua Lewis